Injured at work? Here’s what to do next.

WC blog What To Do Next

Injured at work? Call Attorney

Injured at work? Here’s what to do next.

You’re a good employee: you arrive on time, do your job well and get along with your coworkers. Despite being careful, you get injured at work. It happens. After you get injured on the job in Richmond, VA, what do you do next?

Our Richmond workers’ compensation attorneys want you to know what steps to take after a workplace injury:

  1. If you are severely injured, seek medical attention immediately.  If you are bleeding excessively, suffering chest pain, having difficulty breathing, or suspect broken bones, you are likely in need of immediate medical attention. Be sure to tell the doctor that you were injured in a workplace accident.
  2. Report the accident to your employer. Even if your injury doesn’t require immediate medical attention, it is critical to report the accident to your supervisor as soon as possible. It is preferable to report it in writing, but you can report it verbally in the presence of a reliable coworker as a witness.

Reporting your injury may seem like common sense. However, if you’re involved in a workplace accident and don’t need immediate medical attention, you might decide not to. By neglecting to report it, you may unintentionally forfeit your right to file for workers’ compensation benefits. This is problematic if you wake up the next morning in severe pain or with a swollen wrist or ankle due to the work injury. Because you didn’t report the accident when it happened, your employer could deny your claim that it happened at work.

Don’t wait! Report every accident as soon as it happens, and describe the exact circumstances of the accident. Keep a copy of your report. In Virginia, employees have 30 days to report an accident at work, but sooner is better, because the details will be fresh in your mind.

3. File a claim with the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission (VWC).  Some employees get confused and think that their employer will file this claim for them, but that is incorrect. Your employer will report the accident to VWC, but that is a separate report from the claim that an employee must file.  The employee must file this claim by himself/herself. Or, if you contact Commonwealth Law Group, experienced workers’ compensation attorneys in Richmond, VA, we can file this claim for you or amend it if it was filed incorrectly.

4.Contact Commonwealth Law Group to protect your rights as an injured worker. As experienced workers’ compensation lawyers, we understand that each workers’ comp claim is unique. We can help you decide your best course of action. Let our experience help guide you through the complexities of a workers’ compensation claim, which include:

  • Dealing with the insurance company
  • Filing your claim with the VWC
  • Navigating court hearings
  • Settling your claim for a lump sum

Remember: it’s better to consult with a workers’ compensation lawyer and then not need one than to make critical mistakes in your case because you didn’t have good legal advice. At Commonwealth Law Group, we will fight for your rights as an injured worker. Your initial consultation is free, so there is nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain by calling us today at 804.999.9999.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest